The AIR_DataNet is a computational infrastructure serving the Atlantic International Research Center (AIR Centre). This PhD research work aims to contribute to the design and prototyping of the AIR_DataNet repository for data storage, organization, long-term preservation, and data sharing. The research will focus on repository architecture, data models, and research data management policies.
AIR Centre PhD grants are aimed at applicants enrolled or that comply with the requirements to enroll for PhD related studies and who wish to carry out research towards this degree. Following candidates may apply:
a) Holders of a Master’s degree, or legal equivalent, in Data Science, Information Management, Informatics Engineering, Informatics, Computer Science or closely related areas as considered by the Scientific Committee.
b) Holders of a “Licenciatura” degree (previous to Bologna process) with a relevant academic or scientific curriculum recognized by the Scientific Committee as adequate in Data Science, Information Management, Informatics Engineering, Informatics, Computer Science or closely related areas.
c) Those with an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Committee as adequate to the Programme.
Summary of work plan (if applicable)
This PhD work focus on the topic of research data management with the motivation of contributing to the design and prototyping of the AIR_DataNet repository for data storage, organization, long- term preservation, and sharing. The research activities will focus on:
- design of the repository architecture, definition of authentication and access levels, data security strategies;
- development of flexible data models, able to represent heterogeneous types of data (satellite imagery and geospatial observations, time series, intermittent observations…) from diverse domains;
- formulating flexible metadata models, accommodating domain-specific requirements;
- approaches for metadata indexing, classification, and use of controlled vocabularies;
- open data formats and data standards (e.g. EU Inspire directive for geospatial data, GEOSS data sharing principles);
- data cataloging strategies for online resource discovery;
- data licensing and data citation policies;
- copyright and data ownership policies;
- tools for monitoring the secondary usage of data;
Name(s) of supervisor(s)
Supervisor: Maria Cristina Ribeiro, University of Porto, Faculty of Engineering
Co-supervisor: Susana Alexandra Barbosa, INESC TEC
Name(s) of hosting institution(s)
INESC TEC – Institute for Systems and Computer Engineering, Technology and Science, University of Porto, Portugal
Identification of PhD program and its deadlines
PhD in Informatics Engineering, offered by the University of Porto
Please check programme’s website for PhD application deadlines here.
FCT application form
Download and fill in the FCT Form, print it, sign it and then upload it to the Application Form where requested.
You can download the FCT form here.
GDPR Policy Terms
Before proceeding, read the declaration below with our GDPR Policy Terms. You will be asked to give your consent before submitting your application.
Read English version here.
Read Portuguese version here.
Please login or signup to continue!