The AIR Centre PhD Scholarship Programme aims at training the leaders of the future:
Enhancing scientific research and technology development capabilities of AIR Centre Network in order to better respond to national priorities and global challenges in the Atlantic region;
- Strengthening existing collaboration ties and exploring or developing new collaboration ties between the AIR Centre and the Portuguese scientific community in areas of common interest;
- Promoting bilateral/multilateral cooperation between Portuguese scientific institutions and other institutions from diverse Atlantic countries through inclusive knowledge and data sharing to promote job creation, young entrepreneurship and inclusive sustainable development;
- Expanding the reach of the AIR Centre scientific agenda through a wider engagement with the academia to demonstrate the societal relevance and public value of research.
Doctoral research work will be carried out entirely or partially in a Portuguese institution.
Scholarships are annual, renewable to a maximum of 4 years.
Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted online using the application form available on each BD page. Applications submitted by other means will not be accepted.
Please note that you will need the items listed below for your application. To ease the submission process we suggest you to gather them before you start applying:
- Scanning of your Identification Document (ID card, passport)
- Degree Certificates (one for each of your degree titles), and recognition to the Portuguese grading scale, if applicable
- Your Curriculum Vitae and saved as PDF
- A motivation letter
- FCT Form filled in and signed (available for download here, guidelines in English here.)
- Your PhD work plan, if applicable (please check PhD scholarship appropriate link for details before working on this)
- Supervisor(s) Commitment Letter and CV (stating that (s)he accepts to supervise you, in case you are awarded with the Grant), applicable when a PhD work plan is submitted
- Supporting letter (in case you plan to develop part of your work in collaboration with additional institutions, please provide a letter describing the collaborative work. The letter should be issued and signed by the institution.), applicable when a PhD work plan is submitted
- 2 Recommendation letters
Except for official documents, application and all related documents must be submitted in English.
Notification of results
The list of selected candidates will be published on this website, and each candidate will be notified through the email address provided in the application form.
– Call opening: August 14th, 2020
– Deadline: September 14th, 2020 NEW DEADLINE: October 31st, 2020 (applications must be submitted before 23:59 UTC+1 on the given date)
Before applying, we RECOMMENDED you to check the public notice of the call for detailed information on the selection process.
Download English version here
Download Portuguese version here
To access the application form (found within each BD page), you need to register (create an account). When doing so, please make sure to spell your email address correctly since all relevant information regarding your application will be sent to that email. Once you register, a password will be sent to your email and you can then log in. Access the Scholarship Programme tab and scroll down to see all the available scholarships.
You can only submit one application for each scholarship. You can save the application form at any time. The form will be available on the platform for editing until the application deadline, or until you submit the application. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to un-submit or make any changes.
Please note that the application to this scholarship program does not grant you a place in a PhD programme. Make sure you apply to the PhD programme identified in each BD.
Questions related to the application or the application form should be addressed to the AIR Centre through the email email@example.com using the following subject line: 2020 AIR Centre PhD Scholarship Programme – [your name]. The AIR Centre will respond to all information requests up to 3 working days before the applications submission deadline. Before contacting AIR Centre carefully read all the documents related to the Call and the information available on the AIR Centre’s website.